Provence Rail-Drive Holiday
- 8 Days
- From £799
- London to Avignon by Eurostar and TGV (or direct train)
- Car hire for the duration of your stay so you can explore freely
- A week’s stay at a hotel in a semi-rural location, complete with swimming pool
- Return journey through France back to the UK
- Decide when you would like to travel
- Adapt the route to suit your plans
- Upgrade hotels and rail journeys
- Add extra nights, destinations and/or tours
- Standard Class rail travel with seat reservations
- 7 nights’ handpicked hotel accommodation with breakfast
- Private transfers between stations in Paris
- 7 days car hire (Peugeot 308 or similar) from Avignon
- City maps and comprehensive directions to your hotels
- Clearly-presented wallets for your rail tickets, hotel vouchers and other documentation
- All credit card surcharges and complimentary delivery of your travel documents
Catch a train from London, Ebbsfleet or Ashford to Paris where a private transfer driver will be waiting to take you across to the Gare de Lyon. Perhaps grab some lunch to eat on the train (though there is also a bar buffet car on the TGV service) before speeding through France to historic Avignon.
On arrival at Avignon TGV station, pick up your hire car. The station is out of the centre, so you’ll quickly be on your way out into the Provençal countryside. Your home for the next week is the Best Western Le Val de Majour (or similar), located near to Arles in the Parc Naturel Régional des Alpilles.
Enjoy a full six days exploring Provence at your own pace. Along with lively, cultural cities like Avignon and Aix, there are also some stunning hilltop villages such as Gordes and Lacoste, beautifully situated abbeys like the endlessly photogenic Abbaye Notre-Dame de Sénanque (pictured), and impressive Roman remains in Nîmes, Arles and Orange. You can visit some of the local wineries, take in the unique landscapes of the Camargue National Park with its indigenous horses and flamingoes or even head for the coast. Marseille is only just over an hour’s drive from Arles.
At the end of your relaxing holiday in Provence, it’s time to drive back to Avignon and return your hire car. From Avignon TGV station, your train will take you back to Paris, with a connecting transfer back to the Gare du Nord for your Eurostar service home.
TMR RECOMMENDS: You’ll need to drop your hire car in the morning of your last day in order to make your connection. Why not spend an extra night in this lovely Provençal city to end your holiday?
Typical hotels on this itinerary
Set in parkland, within walking distance of Fontvielle, the Best Western Le Val Majour is a great base to explore Provence with Arles, Saint-Remy-de-Provence and Avignon all within an hour’s drive. All bedrooms are air-conditioned with flat-screen TVs, en suite facilities, hairdryer and free Wi-Fi. There’s also a bar, an outdoor swimming pool, a tennis court, petanque and a table tennis table. Private parking is free on site.
Upgrade your accommodation
This former 17th century convent was re-imagined by the famous designer Christian Lacroix in 2014 and is now a beautiful, relaxing and indulgent retreat amongst the Roman history of Arles. Rooms are equipped with a safe, WiFi and air conditioning amongst numerous other comforts, and in the summer the on-site restaurant and bar spill onto the sunlit terrace. Guests also have access to a heated outdoor pool and a spa.