Norway in a Nutshell
- 5 Days
- From £899
- Historic Hanseatic Bergen on Norway’s west coast
- Norway in a Nutshell, including the Bergen Railway, the breathtaking Flåm Railway, and the Aurlandsfjord
- Two days to explore Norwegian capital Oslo
- Decide when you would like to travel
- Adapt the route to suit your plans
- Upgrade hotels and rail journeys
- Add extra nights, destinations and/or tours
- Flights with Norwegian from London airports to Bergen and back from Oslo
- Norway in a Nutshell day-excursion from Bergen
- 4 nights’ handpicked 4-star hotel accommodation with breakfast in city-centre locations
- Clearly-presented wallets for your rail tickets, flight documentation and hotel vouchers
- All credit card surcharges and prompt delivery of your travel documents to your home
Fly to Bergen this morning and make your way into the city centre for a 2 night stay at the Clarion Admiral Hotel (or similar).
Norway’s second city was an important trade hub in the middle ages and a member of the powerful Hanseatic League. The remaining wharf buildings from this period (pictured) are now a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Don’t miss the funicular ride up to the peak of Mount Fløyen for panoramic city views.
Your Norway in a Nutshell tour takes you from Bergen to Voss on the stunning Bergen Railway. From Voss you will travel by bus through pretty villages and landscapes to Gudvangen. At Gudvangen, continue on a beautiful fjord cruise to the small village of Flåm, nestled in the innermost part of the Aurlandsfjord.
Your tour continues along the legendary Flåm Railway, offering spectacular panoramic views to some of the wildest and most magnificent scenery in the Norwegian fjords. Return to Bergen for your second night.
Leave Bergen this morning and take the spectacular Bergen Line route all the way to Norwegian capital Oslo. Your journey, considered one of the most beautiful rail journeys in the world, takes you via one of Europe’s highest mountain plateaus. You can watch a video about the journey here.
Arrive into Oslo in the evening and head for the Thon Opera Hotel (or similar) for your 2 night stay.
Capital of Norway since the 14th century, Oslo is a thriving city made up of diverse architectural styles and distinct districts. Spend a full day here exploring the city’s museums, galleries and green spaces.
Highlights of any visit here include the elegant Royal Palace and the Viking Ship Museum, boasting amongst other exhibits, two Viking ships that are over 1,000 years old. During the summer, you can also relax on one of the lovely beaches in the Oslofjord or sit and people watch at a café, with some of the world’s best coffee.
After breakfast this morning, leave your hotel and make your way to the airport for a return flight to the UK.
ALTERNATIVE ROUTE: If you have the time, you can travel overland by rail back to London, with stops in Gothenburg, Copenhagen and Hamburg.
Typical hotels on this itinerary
Across the fjord from the medieval wharf area of Bryggen, this elegant hotel occupies converted warehouse buildings dating back to 1904. Guest rooms feature flat-screen TVs and free Wi-Fi access. The hotel’s restaurant offers a menu of international cuisine and views across to the colourful Hanseatic houses of old Bergen.
The Thon Opera Hotel is located adjacent to Oslo’s main train station, and offers easy access to the rest of the city. Along with comfortable, moden bedrooms, the hotel also offers a restaurant overlooking the Oslo Opera House and a bar with an outdoor terrace. Karl Johan high street is a two minute walk from the hotel, boasting stunning views of the Oslofjord.