Northumberland Walking Holiday
- 7 Days
- From £549
- United Kingdom
- Travel to Alnwick from London or your local UK station
- Explore the beautiful landscapes of the Northumberland Coast on foot
- Independent walking holiday with maps and walking routes guide
- Travel between destinations on a scenic journey by train
- Decide when you would like to travel
- Adapt the route to suit your plans and local station
- Upgrade hotels
- Add extra nights, destinations and/or tours
- Standard Class rail travel from London (or your local UK station)
- 6 nights’ handpicked hotel accommodation with breakfast
- Ordnance Survey Explorer maps to cover Alnwick and Berwick-Upon-Tweed
- Pathfinder Book of Northumberland and Scottish Borders Outstanding Circular Walks
- Clearly-presented wallets for your rail tickets, hotel vouchers and other documentation
- All credit card surcharges and complimentary delivery of your travel documents
Take the train from London (or your local station) north to Alnmouth on the rugged Northumberland coast in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. On arrival, check in for a 3-night stay at the Hope & Anchor Inn (or similar).
Founded in 1150, Alnmouth is a beautiful village made up of pastel-coloured houses which extend onto sweeping golden beaches. On your first day, why not just relax at one of the pubs and restaurants or get your first look at the sand dunes for which this area is famous.
Alnmouth makes a great base for walkers. Included with your holiday, you’ll get an Ordnance Survey map for the local area as well as a guide book with lots of ideas for routes. The Alnmouth tourist office also has a free guide for walks in the area from a mile-long stroll to 11-mile rambles. One of the most stunning routes has to be the Northumberland Coast Path. Walk south from Alnmouth, looking out for secluded coves, sea birds and other wildlife and end up at the romantic castle ruins of Warkworth.
A short rail journey north on the East Coast Mainline brings you to Berwick-Upon-Tweed, where you have a 3-night stay at the Castle Vale House (or similar).
There are plenty of options for breathtaking walks from Berwick-upon-Tweed. You can get your bearings by taking a short stroll on the Coast and Walls Trail which covers the town walls and Elizabethan ramparts. Within 15 minutes of your hotel, you are at the coast where you can rejoin the Northumberland Coast Path, taking you down to lovely Lindisfarne (Holy Island). The Berwickshire Coastal Path takes in some dramatic clifftop scenery complete with arches, stacks and crumbling castles.
Leave Berwick-upon-Tweed after breakfast today and return to the station for your journey home.
Typical hotels on this itinerary
Located in the centre of Alnmouth, the Hope and Anchor Hotel offers easy access to the village and surrounding countryside. Alnwick Castle is a 15-minute bus journey. There are 8 individually furnished guestrooms with private bathrooms as well as an Italian restaurant and a bar / lounge. Wireless internet access is available throughout the property.
Situated in the historic town of Berwick-upon-Tweed, Castle Vale House is a quiet, family-run Victorian country house, 15 minutes walk from the coast. Each bedroom at Castle Vale House boasts tea and coffee making facilities, a flat-screen TV with a DVD player, and an en suite bathroom. A daily breakfast is served with homemade jams and freshly baked bread.