London to the Top of Europe
- 4 Days
- From £899
- Travel to and from Switzerland without flying
- Basel – a pretty Swiss city on the Rhine with suburbs in France and Germany
- Interlaken – gateway to the beautiful Bernese Oberland
- Jungfraujoch – Top of Europe, the highest rail station on the Continent.
- Decide when you would like to travel
- Adapt the route to suit your plans
- Upgrade hotels and rail journeys
- Add extra nights, destinations and/or tours
- Standard Class rail travel with seat reservations
- Swiss Pass to cover all your rail and boat travel within the country whilst you are there
- Jungfrau day trip on your free day in Interlaken
- 3 nights’ handpicked hotel accommodation with breakfast
- City maps and comprehensive directions to your hotels
- Clearly-presented wallets for your rail tickets, hotel vouchers and other documentation
- All credit card surcharges and complimentary delivery of your travel documents
Catch the Eurostar this morning from London to Paris, then connect with a high-speed TGV service to Basel in northern Switzerland. Here, check in at the Hotel Gaia (or similar) for your overnight stay.
Basel is one of Switzerland’s cultural hubs, with world-class museums, a lovely Old Town area straddling both banks of the River Rhine, and an efficient system of trams and buses to get you around. There’s plenty of time for dinner in the centre of town.
You don’t need seat reservations for the direct train service from Basel to Interlaken so you can perhaps spend a morning in Basel before your onward journey, or just leave after breakfast. It’s entirely up to you.
On arrival at Interlaken Ost station, check in for a 2-night stay at the Hotel Interlaken (or similar). Very close to Interlaken Ost is the base station for the funicular up to Harder Kulm (pictured). This moderately sized mountain offers great views over the area, the two lakes that give the town its name and the surrounding peaks of the the Bernese Oberland.
Enjoy a day at leisure in Interlaken, including a return journey on the famous Jungfrau Railway. You’ll catch a train to Lauterbrunnen and then from there, a cog railway takes you up to Kleine Scheidegg, 6760 feet above sea level. The last train burrows through the Eiger Mountain to get to the Jungfraujoch, a saddle between two mountains and home to the highest railway station in Europe. As an alternative, you can now take an exciting gondola ride from Grindelwald directly to the Eiger station on your outbound journey. The cost is the same for either option.
At the top of the mountain, there’s an observation deck with panoramic views, an ‘Ice Palace’ and a range of shops.
Leaving Interlaken this morning, make the journey back to Basel, with a return TGV service from there back to London, with an easy connection in Paris.
ALTERNATIVE ROUTE: Travel back via Brussels and break your journey with a night in Cologne so that you have time to take the slower train along the beautiful Rhine Gorge route. Ask us for details.
Typical hotels on this itinerary
The Gaia is a family-run hotel with an historic façade and contemporary interior, located opposite the main SBB station. There are 86 non-smoking bedrooms, all with free Wi-Fi and a complimentary minibar. Guests can also make use of the hotel’s relaxing spa area and welcoming bar.
This conveniently located hotel is next to the Japanese Gardens and within easy walking distance of Interlaken Ost station. Bedrooms are equipped with cable TV, wired and wireless internet connection and a safe. You can enjoy Swiss and international dishes in the Taverne Restaurant and there is also a welcoming lounge bar.
Upgrade your accommodation
Situated in the heart of the Old Town, on the banks of the Rhine, the Grand Hotel Les Trois Rois is one of Europe’s oldest city hotels, where the likes of Napoleon, Pablo Picasso, Thomas Mann and HRH Queen Elizabeth have stayed. There are three on-site restaurants including the Michelin-starred Le Cheval, a games room and a cigar lounge.
A 7-minute walk from Interlaken West train station, this luxury 19th-century hotel is elegantly furnished in traditional style. Rooms come complete with free Wi-Fi and flat-screen TVs, and facilities include two restaurants, a piano bar, spa, indoor pool and fitness centre.