Lake Geneva by Rail
- 6 Days
- From £899
- Catch a train to Lausanne and then travel along the shores of Lake Geneva to Vevey
- Discover all the sights of this beautiful region including the Lausanne, Montreux and the UNESCO World Heritage listed Lavaux vineyard terraces
- Use your Lake Geneva regional pass for 2 free days unlimited travel and 50% discount for the rest of your stay
- Standard Class rail travel with seat reservations
- 5 nights’ handpicked hotel accommodation with breakfast
- A 5-day Lake Geneva Regional Pass including 2 free days of travel and 50% discount on the other 3 days
- City maps and comprehensive directions to your hotels
- Clearly-presented wallets for your rail tickets, hotel vouchers and other documentation
- All credit card surcharges and complimentary delivery of your travel documents
Catch a Eurostar service from London St Pancras (or Ebbsfleet) to Paris and connect onto the high-speed TGV Lyria service to Lausanne. From here, it’s just a short hop to your base for the next 5 nights, the Astra Hotel (or similar) in Vevey.
Settle in at your hotel and then perhaps enjoy a first evening’s stroll along the flower-lined promenade by Lake Geneva.
Enjoy a full four days on Lake Geneva. Your regional Lake Geneva pass gives you two days of free travel in the area, including boat trips on the lake, the Rochers de Naye mountain railway, the Lavaux Wine Train and the Golden Pass line to Zweisimmen. You can also use your pass for 50% off all travel (including boats) on your other days.
Also worth a visit in the area are the fascinating Charlie Chaplin Museum in Vevey, the famous Château de Chillon along the lakeshore from Montreux and the Lavaux wine terraces, where you can enjoy some wine-tasting complemented by spectacular lake and mountain views.
After a leisurely breakfast in Vevey, it’s time to check out of your hotel and make your way back to the station. If the weather’s fine, you can even have a morning swim in the lake before you leave!
Your return journey takes you via Lausanne and Paris to the UK. If you would like to stay longer in the area or have a stop en route to break your journey home, just let us know.
Typical hotels on this itinerary
Located within easy walking distance of the train station, this family owned hotel offers a modern, comfortable base to the explore the Vaud region. Bedrooms are furnished in a classic style with Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs and minibar. There is also a wellness area with whirlpool and steam room as well as an on-site restaurant.
Upgrade your accommodation
Les Trois Couronnes occupies a Belle Epoque style building in the heart of Vevey. Bedrooms and suites combine classic style with contemporary comforts. There is also a spa offering a menu of treatments along with an indoor swimming pool and sauna. The hotel boasts two restaurants and a terrace bar.
The Belle Epoque Fairmont le Montreux Palace is the most luxurious hotel in Montreux, boasting 236 opulently furnished bedrooms, three restaurants (one directly on the lake shore), a wellness centre including an indoor and outdoor pool, and two bars.
The Beau-Rivage Palace has built a reputation as one of Europe’s favourite hotels both for its service and amenities. Located in 10 acres of parkland, the elegant belle époque buildings of the Beau-Rivage Palace command breathtaking views across Lake Geneva to the majestic French Alps.