Glacier and Bernina Expresses
- 4 Days
- From £799
- Travel to and from Switzerland without flying
- Glacier Express: The world’s slowest express train!
- Bernina Express: Cross the famous Landwasser Viaduct on your way for lunch in Italy
- Stay in the pretty towns of Brig and Chur
- Decide when you would like to travel
- Adapt the route to suit your plans
- Upgrade hotels and rail journeys
- Add extra nights, destinations and/or tours
- Standard Class rail travel with seat reservations
- Swiss Pass to cover all your rail and boat travel within the country whilst you are there
- 3 nights’ handpicked hotel accommodation with breakfast
- City maps and comprehensive directions to your hotels
- Clearly-presented wallets for your rail tickets, hotel vouchers and other documentation
- All credit card surcharges and complimentary delivery of your travel documents
PLEASE NOTE: The Glacier Express does not run between 14 October and 14 December 2019. Between these dates, you can still make the journey of the Glacier Express using public trains.
Catch the Eurostar this morning from London to Paris, then connect with a high-speed TGV service to Basel in northern Switzerland. Here, you board a Swiss domestic service which takes you through the increasingly-dramatic landscape and eventually to Brig, your base for the night.
Check in at the Ambassador Hotel (or similar) for your overnight stay before heading out for dinner in the centre of town.
Board the Glacier Express and enjoy the scenery as the train climbs alongside the source of the Rhône and across to Andermatt, before climbing to over 2000 metres at the Oberalp Pass. You will follow the course of the Rhine as you make your way into Chur. Commentary is provided along the way and a lunch is served on board (payable locally).
Chur is Switzerland’s oldest town and sits on the Rhine in eastern Switzerland. Check in at the convenient ABC Hotel (or similar), and in the evening either explore the Old Town or take a short excursion by train to the small town of Arosa
Make your way back to the railway station in Chur in the morning for another beautiful scenic journey, the Bernina Express. The journey starts off towards St Moritz, crossing the iconic Landwasser Viaduct amongst others, and sweeping through stunning landscape before crossing a short way into Italy and arriving at the town of Tirano.
After a brief wander around and lunch in Tirano, its time to re-board the train and head back, this time offering a varied perspective on the scenery as you will be travelling in the reverse direction. Arrive back in Chur in time for dinner and a well-earned night’s rest at your hotel.
Leaving Chur behind this morning, you make the journey back to Basel, with a return TGV service back to London.
ALTERNATIVE ROUTE: Travel back via Brussels and break your journey with a night in Cologne so that you have time to take the slower train along the beautiful Rhine Gorge route (pictured). Ask us for details.
Typical hotels on this itinerary
This small, family-owned hotel enjoys a quiet and central location only 300 yards away from the train station in Brig. The hotel features an excellent restaurant serving French and Swiss specialities. The rooms combine a traditional ambience with modern comfort, and sound proof windows.
This 4-star hotel is located just 400 yards from the railway station and offers a sauna and a steam room on site. With a pleasant bar/lounge, you’ll find the perfect place to have a drink. Guests are also welcome to make use of the free high-speed Wi-Fi available throughout the property.
Upgrade your accommodation
Situated in the heart of St Moritz, the majestic Kulm Hotel offers stunning views over Lake St. Moritz. Facilities include an extensive spa and wellness area and a gourmet restaurant. One of the finest hotels in Switzerland, the Kulm is an ideal retreat for your stay in St Moritz.