Advice for Customers

The political process is still grinding on, but whether or not we leave the European Union at the end of January 2020, there are some things we can say for sure in terms of how Brexit will affect your holiday plans with us. For anyone who is uncertain about booking a holiday at the moment, the following FAQs will hopefully ease some of your concerns.

Is there a chance that my holiday will be cancelled or that the price will increase after I’ve booked?

Your holiday won’t be cancelled because of Brexit and we will never charge you more for the holiday that you have booked, even if currency exchange rates change. When you book your holiday with us, the price is confirmed and any future risk in terms of currency fluctuations will be ours, not yours. We are bonded with the Travel Trust Association (membership number Q2542), which gives you 100% financial protection. You can read more about how this works on our TTA protection page.

Will flights and Eurostar be affected by Brexit?

The European Commission has confirmed that flights and trains will still operate between the UK and mainland Europe. There will be no extra border controls between EU countries for UK citizens so you can travel freely within the EU, as has always been the case.

Will I need a visa to travel to the EU after Brexit?

If the UK leaves the EU with a deal, then the same rules will continue to apply to UK nationals travelling into EU countries according to European Commission proposals. If there is a no-deal Brexit, the European Commission has advised that British citizens will continue not to need a visa for short stays in the EU. UK holiday-makers are being advised to ensure that they have at least 6 months validity remaining on their passports from their date of arrival in the EU.

Will I be able to use my European Health Insurance Card?

In the case of a no-deal Brexit, you won’t be able to use an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) after Brexit. If there is a deal, it’s likely this will only take effect in 2021. Either way, we would always advise our customers to take out appropriate travel insurance, as there are limitations to the EHIC.

Will I be able to use my UK driving licence to hire a car?

As long as you have a full UK driving licence, you don’t currently need an additional licence to drive in the EU. If there is a no-deal scenario, UK travellers looking to hire a car in the EU on or after Brexit may need to apply for the relevant International Driving Permit. These are easily obtained from the AA, RAC or the Post Office and currently cost £5.50.

Can I still use data roaming on my mobile phone at no extra cost?

Under EU rules, the cost of making calls, sending messages or using the internet on your phone in the EU is the same in the UK. If the UK leaves without a deal these rules will no longer apply – however, many UK providers have said they may continue to offer this benefit to their customers. Before you travel, check with your mobile phone provider about the costs of using your phone in the EU.